Bed bugs are a major problem throughout the United States, and this problem escalates during the summer as travel increases. To preface this topic, it’s important to mention that anytime you discover or suspect bed bugs, you should seek the help of a professional, because these pests will plague yor home and are very difficult to get rid of. With that said, if you encounter a bed bug problem and you or someone in your family has bed bug bites, you will likely be in search of a remedy. These bites are painful and very uncomfortable, but there are some remedies to try until you can get the problem resolved.
- Oatmeal Bath: This is a great remedy for itch relief from a variety of issues including bed bug bites. All it takes is a bathtub full of warm water and a box of oatmeal for some serious itch relief.
- Baking Soda Paste: A simple combination of water and baking soda will create a great, homemade cream that can be applied to bites. This paste can be left on for about an hour to provide a soothing, itch relief.
- Aspirin Paste: Taking an aspirin orally can have some effect, but creating a paste with a small amount of water and a crushed aspirin can bring more immediate relief.
- Ice: As with many stings and bites, ice is a great way to reduce swelling and temporarily relieve pain. Some bed bug bites are quite small but some bites can swell up to be very large, which is when the ice comes in handy.
- Aloe: If you happen to have an aloe plant, you can cut off the tip of one of the plant’s leaves and squeeze out the gel inside. This can be applied to the bites for instant, soothing relief.