Pantry pests wreak havoc in locations true to their namesake: pantries - or any place dried food goods are stored. This type of pest ranges from beetles to moths to weevils, and will feast on grains, legumes, nuts, seed, sweets, pet food, flour and more. Most species in this pest category breed quickly and can quickly overtake a warehouse or kitchen.
Terminix pest control professionals can help find hard-to-locate sources of these infestations, many of which occur deep in a cabinet or food storage closet. But there are a few things you can do to help treat and prevent these occurances:
- Inspect dried food products for signs of infestation. If an infestation is found, throw the food away in an outdoor trash can.
- Inspect decorations made of materials that resemble these food types and discard any that appear to contain these insects or their larvae.
- Freeze foods that appear to have been infested at zero degrees Fahrenheit for six days.
- Thoroughly clean cabinets with soap and water to eliminate lingering insects, larvae, feces or cocoons.
- Inspect other areas of your home for cocoons and remove them promptly. Some moth species will pupate in areas away from the food source, then return to feed.
- Store all dried foods and pet food in glass or plastic containers with tight lids. This will help keep pantry pests out, and contain infestations if they occur in those products.
- Cereals and similar foods can be stored in the refrigerator to reduce the number of available food sources for the pantry pests.
- Consume older food first, then newer food. Food products left untouched for long periods of time are the perfect feeding source for many of these pests.
Types of pantry pests
Pantry pests vary widely, but most attack dried foods in much the same way. See below for a list of the most common types of pantry pests.
- American Spider Beetle
- Bean Weevil
- Cigarette Beetle
- Cowpea Weevil
- Dried Fruit Beetle
- Drugstore Beetle
- Foreign Grain Beetle
- Indian Meal Moth
- Larder Beetle
- Mediterranean Flour Moth
- Red or Confused Flour Beetle
- Rice and Granary Weevils
- Sawtoothed and Merchant Grain Beetles
- Shiny Spider Beetle
- Warehouse and Cabinet Beetle
Or fill out this form and a Pest Control consultant will call you.